Chocolate Pudding Pie
Ingredients:1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
3 Tbsp. Baking cocoa
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1/2 c milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
1tsp. Vanilla extract
1 baked (9”) pie shell
Foolproof Meringue* (see recipe)
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in a small bowl. Add to the melted butter and blend well. Measure the 2 cups total of milk (evaporated+homogenized) and stir into chocolate mixture. Stir a small amount of the mixture into the beaten egg yolks; stir egg yolks into mixture. Add vanilla.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour into the pie shell.
- Spread Foolproof Meringue over the filling, sealing to the edge.
- Bake at 450º for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Chill, covered in the refrigerator.
Ingredients:6 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
3 egg whites
salt to taste
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until clear and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Add vanilla. Beat egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add syrup gradually, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Serves 8 (but rich enough that could serve 16 no problem)
- Nutrition is for 8 servings