We love French toast at our house. When I went out to eat at a place that had French toast, I always ordered it. I went looking for a vegan version that was straight-forward and tasty. I found one from Minimalist Baker.
1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
1/2 Tbsp agave syrup
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
vegan butter for greasing pan
4-6 slices of French bread, sliced 1/2 - 1 inch thick
- Use a whisk to mix the ground chia seeds, agave syrup, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla together. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Slice the bread (if you haven't already.)
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat, and melt butter.
- Place the slices of bread into the milk mixture for about 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer to the warm and buttered griddle. Cook each side until golden brown (on griddle side), a couple minutes per side.
- Top with desired topping, I have granola and maple syrup in this picture.
Other toppings we enjoy are whipped topping, peanut butter, and fruit.