These cupcakes are too good to be true. Get yourself some fresh strawberries to top these. I got the original recipe from Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor. They were enjoyed by everybody in the house.
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
½-tsp baking soda
½-tsp fine salt
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp lemon extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl, whisk applesauce, raw sugar, almond milk, and lemon extract until well combined.
- Pour dry mixture into wet mixture in 3 to 4 batches, stirring until just combined.
- Bake in lined muffin cups for 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whisk powdered sugar, almond milk, vanilla extract, and a drop of red food coloring in a small bowl, adding more sugar to thicken or more milk to thin it out.
- Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, slather icing over top and garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
- Makes 12