It's that time of year, to get out our slow cookers and enjoy some soup as the weather cools. The original recipe came from Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor program.
8 corn tortillas
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups (16-oz) vegetable broth
14-oz diced tomatoes
2-oz diced green chiles, drained
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1.5 cups prepared black beans (1-15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
hot sauce, cilantro (optional)
- Combine onion, garlic, spices, broth, tomatoes (with juices), chiles, tomato paste and soy sauce in a slow cooker.
- Tear or chop 4 corn tortillas and stir into slow cooker to combine.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours (high 3-5 hours).
- Optional: Once done, transfer half to a blender and whiz until smooth OR use an immersion blender to partially blend.
- Add beans, stirring to combine.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350F.
- Place 4 corn tortillas directly on the wrack and until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble cooked tortillas into separate bowl.
- Spoon soup into serving bowls and top with crumbled crisped tortillas and avocado.
- Garnish with hot sauce and cilantro. (optional)
- Serves 4.
- Per serving: 394 calories, 13.2g fat, 57.1g carbs, 13.7g fiber, 9.8g sugars, 14.7g protein
- You could add corn to the soup as well.