I'll admit that my family was a little skeptical of these. The kids turned them down outright because of the green bell pepper. However, they were super easy and quick to make and will be a go-to for me. I got the original recipe from Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor.
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tsp chili powder
1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup salsa
1 cup marinara sauce
4 buns or tortillas
- Sauté onion, garlic, and bell pepper until onion is translucent and bell peppers have softened.
- Stir in spices to coat well.
- Add cooked lentils, salsa and marinara sauce, stirring to combine.
- Continue to cook over low, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly warm and reduced slightly.
- Spoon onto buns and serve.
- Serves 4
- Per serving: 410 calories, 4.6g fat, 70.9g carbs, 23g fiber, 14.2g sugars, 22.7g protein
- For a serving for two (pictured one of two servings) use: ½ small onion, diced; 2 garlic cloves, minced; 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced; 1 tsp chili powder; ½ tsp dried oregano; 1 cup cooked lentils; ½ cup salsa; ½ cup marinara sauce; 4 slices bread
- Omnivores could throw in a ground meat of their choice as well.