1/3 cup butter, softened
1 yellow cake mix (18.25 ounce box)
3 large eggs
1 cup of water, room temperature
Zest of 2 large lemons
3 large egg yolks
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Food coloring, as desired
4 ounces prepared white fondant
1 empty paper towel tube
Jelly beans or pastel candies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly mist 12 dessert cups with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 large-cup (3 1/2” diameter) muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a flat paddle, cream the butter for 2 minutes or until light and smooth. Add remaining cake ingredients and mix on slow for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Spoon batter evenly into cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, run a small knife around the edge of cake, invert & release. Cool completely. If using muffin tins, cool cakes and remove paper liners.
- Place egg yolks and egg in a bowl and quickly whisk in sugar. Add lemon juice and zest. Place all in a small non-reactive sauce pan and add butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring the entire time until mixture is very thick and looks like custard, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, place plastic wrap directly onto the cream and refrigerate until cold (at least 1 hour).
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Add food coloring as desired. Place plastic wrap directly onto icing and set aside.
- Work food coloring into the fondant by twisting, distributing color evenly. Roll fondant between two layers of parchment or wax paper until it measures 7” x 4”. From this, cut a 5 ½” x 3” rectangle and twelve ¼” strips. Place the paper towel tube on a lined sheet pan, and drape strips over tube to form handles. Make sure a ½” section on each end of the handle rests flat on the tray.
- Allow to dry 10 hours or overnight.
- With a small paring knife, cut a small cone from the top of each cake. Set aside.
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of cake form the center of each cake.
- Spoon the lemon cream into the cavity.
- Using the paring knife, cut away the point of the cone cap and place over the lemon cream to seal.
- Ice the tops of the cakes with a pastel-colored icing. Reserve extra icing.
- Decorate center of each cake with jelly beans or pastel candies. Place cakes on a tray, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove cakes from the refrigerator ½ hour before serving.
- Using the reserved icing, place a small dot of icing on the underside of the handles. Attach to the cakes and serve.
- Nutrition per cupcake.