Wednesday, September 11, 2019

White Wine Risotto



While I was helping my parents out this past winter, my mother procured several recipes from other vegans she knows that I could make while I was visiting. My mother never wants me to go hungry. One recipe was this White Wine Risotto from Isa Does It that I skipped the "extras" and did my own. The fun fact about Isa Chandra Moskowitz is that her restaurant, Modern Love, has a location in Omaha not far from the home I grew up in. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cashews
1 cup water
4 cups or so vegetable broth
olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 1/2 cups white wine 
fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:

  1. Soak the cashews in enough water to cover and adsorb for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
  2. When ready to make the risotto, drain the cashews.
  3. Add the cashews plus the 1 cup water to a blender, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
  4. Warm a large pot over medium heat.
  5. Add olive oil and warm.
  6. Saute onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
  7. Mix in the thyme and saute for 1 minute more.
  8. Add the rice and use a wooden spoon to stir and coat with oil. 
  9. Add the white wine and stir occasionally, until the wine is mostly absorbed.
  10. Add a few dashes of black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
  11. Turn the heat to medium-low.
  12. Add the broth in 1-cup increments, stirring the risotto after each addition until the broth is mostly absorbed (6-8 minutes per each cup added.)
  13. With the last cup of broth, add the blended cashew mixture and lemon juice.
  14. Add remaining salt if needed by taste. 
  15. The risotto is ready when the rice is chewy but not over-cooked and the sauce is creamy.




Notes:

  • Serve topped with an additional green vegetable. I had sauteed brussels sprouts on hand that I served my risotto with. 
  • They don't make blenders like they used to. This is my mom's Hamilton Beach that she received as a wedding gift in 1970. (Meanwhile, I've gone through many, many blenders in the last 20 years I've been married.)


No comments:

Post a Comment