I made this as a treat. It is super rich, which may only hit you after you've eaten too much. The original recipe from VegNews says it serves 8, but I think it is closer to 12, 16 if you are trying to be reasonable. This is a no-bake cashew-based cheesecake. Everybody loved this recipe. It isn't the easiest recipe to make. You'll need both your food processor and your high-speed blender. I also had a teenage son to make chocolate cookies into crumbs with a rolling pin. I've written the recipe here exactly as I made it.
1¾ cups Newman's Chocolate Alphabet cookies, smashed into crumbs¼ cup coconut oil, melted
7 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1½ cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then drained
1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup agave nectar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- Soak the raw cashews in hot water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- This is a good time to smash the cookies into crumbs.
- Spray an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Transfer cookie crumbs and melted coconut oil in a food processor and pulse to combine. The mixture needs to press into the springform pan and hold, so be sure that it sticks well together. If it is too dry, add more melted coconut oil. If it is too wet, add more crumbs.
- Transfer the crumb mixture to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press the mixture into the springform pan using your fingers to make a firm, even crust. Refrigerate or freeze while you make the filling.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Be sure the melted chocolate stays fluid and does not harden.
- In the blender, combine the drained cashews, coconut milk, agave, and coconut oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Release air bubbles by tapping the pan on the counter. This may be an art because every time I tapped and released air bubbles, more seemed to form.
- Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours. It may be left overnight.
- Once set, run a sharp, thin knife along the edge and gently remove the sides of the pan.
- Serves 12
- Top with your choice of berries, whipped cream, or chocolate curls.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a week