The waffles are naked in this picture because I wasn't sure you wanted to see the peanut butter, syrup, and Cool Whip concoction they became. However, those are great toppings, alone or together, for waffles. Berries are a nice touch, too.
2 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/2 cup wheat to 1/2 cup cake flour)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Whisk in the buttermilk, butter, and vanilla until blended.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold 1/2 cup of the egg whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.
- Cook in the waffle maker according to manufacturer directions and your preferred crispness.
- Keep warm in an oven at 200 degrees until serving, or serve immediately with toppings!