1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ ts table salt
1 Tb cornmeal (optional)
1 ts baking soda
1 egg, separated
7/8 cup buttermilk2 Tb unsalted butter, melted
- Heat waffle iron.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk yolk with buttermilk and butter.
- Beat egg white until it just holds a 2-inch peak.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula; be careful not to add liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Toward end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate ingredients; gently fold egg white into batter.
- Spread appropriate amount of batter onto waffle iron. Following manufacturer’s instructions, cook waffle until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately. (You can keep waffles warm on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven for up to 5 minutes.)
- Serves 3-4.