Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Mujadara (Lentils & Bulgur)


In one of my trips to visit my parents, my  mother asked around for vegan recipes. Apparently she'd had this at my sister's house, so she got the recipe. My sister had gotten it from refugees she volunteers with. I added carrots, just to fill out the dish a little more just because it was about the only item I ate during that trip.

Ingredients:
1 cup small brown or green lentils
4 cups water, divided
1/4 cup safflower or canola oil
2 large onions, diced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup course bulgur (#3 or #4 grade)
black pepper

Directions:
Boil lentils with 2 cups water, reduce to simmer (about 5-10 minutes).
In a large skillet or saute pan with lid, heat oil. Add onionss and cook until a dark golden brown, stirring frequently. Sprinkle onions with salt as they cook.
Carefully pour remaining 2 cups water into saute pan. Bring to a boil.
Add bulgur and lentils with liquid.
Cover and bring back to a boil. 
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook until lentils and bulgur are consistency you like (al dente). (About 10-15 minutes.) You may need to add water as it cooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment