2 - 2.5 medium potatoes per person (5 for 2 people, 10 for 4 people, etc.)
1 - 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
a few Tablespoons up to 1/4 cup of: heavy cream, 2% dairy milk, or almond milk
Seasonings: roasted garlic or garlic powder
- Peel potatoes, cut into 1-2 inch cubes, and place into pot. Cover with water.
- Heat over high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to keep a boil without boiling over. Cook about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and move to a bowl. Add butter and milk. Add any seasonings you would like.
- Using a stand mixer, hand mixer, or hand masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Using vegan butter and almond milk makes this a yummy vegan side.
- Adding some roasted garlic cloves (1 - 3) gives it a nice flavor. Use garlic powder instead if you need.
- We used to add shredded cheddar cheese to make cheesy mashed potatoes, which guests just loved. Use maybe 1/2 cup of shredded cheese if making a dozen potatoes.