Quite frankly, there is no reason this shouldn't be a dessert. I'm serious. If you aren't a big "sweet breakfast" eater, but you like out-of-the-ordinary desserts, this would be a good one. This breakfast came to me from the Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor. I've changed some of the directions because it took me a whole cup of quinoa, ie 4 tries, to get the quinoa cooked without a problem.
1/4 cup dry quinoa
1/2 cup (4 oz) almond milk (or other milk)
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp chocolate chips
1 cup strawberries
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine quinoa with milk.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover partially, and cook until quinoa is fluffy, about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is still hot, stir in cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips. When they start to melt, swirl in.
- Serve with strawberries on top or on the side.
- Serves 1
- Per serving: 295 calories, 7.1 g fat, 52.5 g carbs, 7.8 g fiber, 17.6 g sugars, 8.5 g protein
- I recommend fresh strawberries, but you can use frozen and thaw them before serving.
- You can add more chocolate chips or nuts, too.