These are really great sandwiches. They weren't originally supposed to be open-faced, but I couldn't eat them in a traditional way. The other suggestion I have would be to serve the filling on hoagies.
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups fresh spinach
2 tomatoes, diced
3/4 cups green or brown lentils
1 diced green bell pepper
1½ cups marinara sauce
8 slices of whole grain bread (or 4 hoagies)
- Add lentils to a saucepan of water. Bring to boil, then reduce to low to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse when cooked.
- Sauté garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, until fragrant.
- Add spinach and tomatoes, continuing to cook until spinach turns dark green and tomatoes soften.
- Stir in cooked lentils, and marinara sauce until combined.
- Spoon onto bread (or hoagies) and serve.
Serves 4 sandwiches
Per serving: 403 calories, 8.2g fat, 67.7g carbs, 20.6g fiber, 13g sugars, 18.5g protein