I decided to make my own breakfast burritos based upon the Sin City Breakfast Tacos. We still make "crispies" and our own fried potatoes for other things on occasion. Paradise Breakfast Burritos have fresh-made tortillas and are vegan. Paradise would also be someone else making them for you and cleaning them up, or at least it's paradise when you share them.
corn tortillas, sliced into strips
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
30 oz tofu, pressed and crumbled
1 tsp turmeric
2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Mix together in a bowl until combined in a large ball. Add a tad more water if the dough is too dry.
- Divide into 4 smaller balls. Use additional flour on your hands to keep the dough from sticking to them.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and place the first ball on it.
- Flatten the ball using your hand.
- Then use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a thin circle, about 6-8" in diameter.
- Heat a large pan over high heat. Once hot, place first tortilla in the pan. Watch for it to puff up, about a minute or so. Using tongs or heat-resistant fingers, flip the tortilla. Watch for more puffing.
- Remove from pan.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for all balls.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat.
- Fry the corn tortilla strips until crispy.
- Put aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- To the same pan, add 2 more tablespoons of oil and heat (if necessary).
- Fry the potatoes until soft but not crispy.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Scoop the potatoes to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- If necessary, add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the same pan and heat.
- Add onion and tomato, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add crumbled tofu, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine well, then continue to cook over medium-high heat until thoroughly warm.
- Combine crispies, 1/4 fried potatoes, and 1/4 tofu mixture on a fresh tortilla.
- Fold in half for a soft taco or wrap for a burrito.