Even though it's February, it's a pumpkin-themed week! This chili was a part of the weekly meal plans from the Meal Mentor at Happy Herbivore. One child who does not like chili would not eat it, but the other child thought it was okay. I made some modifications to the recipe to fit my less-spicy preference taste buds.
olive oil, as needed
1 onion, diced
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup (8 oz) vegetable broth
1 cup canned pumpkin
3.25-oz can tomato paste
15-oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
15-oz can kidney bean, (undrained)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pot.
- Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add chili powder and cumin, stirring to coat.
- Add broth, pumpkin, and tomato paste, stirring to combine.
- Stir in black beans.
- Stir in kidney beans with its liquid.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until the beans are warm.
- Thin chili with a little water or broth, if needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.