Lentils, polenta, and yummy spices, what more could you ask for? The weather is not as cold as in the dead of winter, but this is a great meal for those chilly days that linger.
1 cup dry polenta
½ cup (4-oz) almond milk
1 diced onion
4 minced garlic cloves
1 seeded and diced green bell pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 cups lentils
2 cups marinara sauce
- Cook lentils by covering with 3 cups of water and bringing to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Reduce to low.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup polenta.
- Keep stirring to break down clumps.
- Add milk (about ½-cup) to thin out.
- Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a skillet sauté onion, garlic, and bell peppers until onion is translucent and bell peppers have softened.
- Stir in spices to coat and cook 1 minute.
- Add cooked lentils and marinara sauce, stirring to combine.
- Continue to cook over low, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly warm and reduced slightly.
- Spoon lentil mixture into 4 bowls. Top with prepared polenta. Or, put the polenta in first and top with lentil mixture.
- Serves 4
- Per serving: 412 calories, 5.2g fat, 75.7g carbs, 17.1g fiber, 14.8g sugars, 15.5g protein