Feeling like some comfort food, I found a recipe that was a fancy vegan Mac n'Cheeze. I didn't want all the fancy stuff, and some of their ratios were off. But my adapted version is really tasty. I've made it several time.
8-oz shells or other pasta, cooked via package directions
1 cup (8-oz) almond milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tbsp miso paste**
1 can (15-oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch green onions, sliced
- In a saucepan, whisk together cold milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and turmeric.
- Cover and bring to a near boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens.
- Turn off heat and stir in miso.
- Fold cooked pasta into sauce, stirring to coat completely.
- If using, fold in beans and garnish with green onions.
- Serves 4