2 1/4 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, very cold and cut into pieces
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup ice water
Pumpkin Vanilla Bean Filling
15 oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs vanilla bean paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cream
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- In a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add butter and shortening. Pulse until the dough resembles coarse crumbles.
- Add water a little at a time and pulse until the dough comes together. Stop adding water once the dough has come together.
- Transfer dough to a sheet of wax paper.
- Gently press dough into a disc, wrap it in the paper and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Take half of the recipe for pie dough, and using a small amount of flour, roll out the pie dough into a circle in between two sheets of wax paper.
- Gently peel back one side of the wax paper and law over a pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a 9x9 baking dish, add all the filling ingredients.
- Combine until smooth.
- Bake the pumpkin filling for 45 minutes. Take the filling out and leave until cooled.
- Using a 4-inch cookie cutter, cut circles out of the chilled pie dough.
- Spoon the chilled filling into the center of the circles.
- Fold the pie dough over and pinch and fork tine the edges. Chill in the refrigerator while you heat the oil.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Gently fry the pumpkin mini pies until the dough is golden brown.
- Drain for a moment on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hours
- Makes 12 pies