ground chicken (~1 pound) or 3 chicken breasts
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground oregano
mozzarella, 1 block cut into 1/2 cm cubes
1 Tbsp water
2 cups Panko-style bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan
pinch ground oregano
canola oil for frying
- Grind chicken breasts using meat grinder attachment on Kitchen-aid mixer, or just use purchased ground chicken.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp oregano to the ground chicken. Mix until well combined.
- Roll into balls about 1.5" in diameter. Flatten ball.
- Place about teaspoon of mozzarella cubes in center and roll chicken around cheese, as a ball.
- Beat eggs, water, and dash salt in a bowl with a fork.
- Mix Panko bread crumbs, parmesan, pinch of salt and oregano until well combined.
- Roll your chicken cheese balls in the egg and then toss in the panko crumb mixture. You will have to squish the panko crumbs around the balls for full coverage.
- In a deep pan (we used our Dutch oven), pour enough oil to cover balls. Heat oil to 350º (using a candy thermometer to check temperature.)
- Fry the balls until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 5 minutes. CHECK! The 5 minutes is purely an estimate. Do not allow any pink left in the balls. Cheese will be melty.
- Serve with pasta and sauce. (Spaghetti noodles with marinara or pasta Alfredo makes a good compliment to these.)
- Makes about a dozen balls.
- Nutrition Facts are per ball.