3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs separated, whites & yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 ounce dark chocolate, grated
1 1/2 cups butter
6 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Grease, flour and line the bottom of two 9 or 10 inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together and set aside flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 equal portions alternating with milk. Add the milk in two equal portions in between the flour mixture additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Do mot over mix.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites and sugar.When the egg whites are almost incorporated fold in dark chocolate.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes at 325ºF or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake the cake portion. Cool completely on a wire rack. Top with vanilla frosting.
- Cream together butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.
- You may add a little milk a teaspoon at a time, if the frosting seems too stiff to be spreadable. This should be quite a thick frosting with plenty of vanilla flavor. You can add a little more or less mik or icing sugar to get it to a proper thick but spreadable consistency. Frost the middle and sides of the cake and chill for a couple of hours before adding the chocolate ganache finishing layer.
- Melt together in a double boiler over low heat the chocolate chips and whipping cream.
- Cool to lukewarm and spread quickly over the chilled frosting. Let the chocolate set before cutting and serving.
- Original Recipe
- 12 servings gives a good size piece that is enough but not too much