Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Indonesian Stir-Fry Noodles


What's funny about this dinner is that when I said it was what was for dinner, everybody balked. Then I made it, with an add-on of chicken for the omnivores in the family. One child, who is super-duper picky, didn't even try it. But it got whole-hearted yums from the other two people. So much that my son asked how much would be leftovers. And asked if I could make it again ... soon. 

The bowl above serves 4. That's right, 4. When I took my helping, everybody's eyes got wide and said, you get that much? Since I'm trying to watch my caloric intake. I said, I get a quarter of the bowl. Then they said, that isn't even a quarter of that bowl. By the way, I was quite full after eating the portion I served myself.

I got the original recipe from Happy Herbivores Meal Mentor

Ingredients:
12-oz dry noodles (i.e. spaghetti) 
6 tbsp teriyaki sauce 
2 tbsp soy sauce 
dash Sriracha (i.e., to taste) 
1/4 cup vegetable broth
oil
1 onion, thinly sliced 
4 garlic cloves, minced 
12-oz broccoli florets 
10-oz cole-slaw mix 
1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
water, as needed

Directions:

  1. Cook noodles via package instructions. 
  2. Drain, rinse under cold water. Set aside. 
  3. While cooking noodles, n a small bowl, whisk teriyaki, soy sauce, Sriracha, and broth together. Set aside. 
  4. Sauté onions and garlic in oil until translucent. 
  5. Add broccoli and cook until bright green. 
  6. Add cole-slaw mix, cooking and stirring so the veggies starts to soften.  
  7. Add kale, stirring to incorporate. 
  8. Continue to cook to desired tenderness, adding water as needed. 
  9. Stir in sauce and cooked noodles. 
  10. Taste, adding more Sriracha or teriyaki sauce, if desired.  

Notes:

  • Serves 4
  • Per serving: 428 calories, 2.7g fat, 87.6g carbs, 14.8g fiber, 12g sugars, 18.5g protein
  • You can use water instead of vegetable broth. You can use thinly sliced cabbage instead of cole-slaw mix. You can add-on more veggies.
  • If you want to add some meat, chicken thinly sliced and fried in the same sauce (make more) worked well for us. I think pork may also go well in this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment