Where to put this? It's cake, so that implies dessert. But, it's like a coffee cake in that you would serve this crumbly confection with coffee. Does that mean it's breakfast or bread? I'll keep it as a dessert.
I based this off a cake I made several years ago. I made the recipe vegan, and I altered some of the ratios. Very tasty. I brought it to work so that I would not eat the entire thing myself. Nearly every person I gave a piece to said how good it is.
INGREDIENTS:1 cup apple juice
2/3 cup Scotch oats or steel-cut oats or bulgur wheat
1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar or raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons vegan stick butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, bring the apple juice to a boil, then add the oats or bulgur. Return to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and let cool, uncovered.
- In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice with almond milk. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Oil a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt.
- In the medium bowl add oil, vanilla, and oat mixture to the milk mixture.
- Mix into the dry ingredients, stirring until well mixed. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, make the topping. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, vanilla, brown sugar, salt, and walnuts. When the cake is done, place it on a cooling rack.
- Turn the oven to broil, and put a rack 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Drop spoonfuls of the brown sugar topping over the cake, spreading it gently and leaving 1/2 inch bare around the edges.
- Broil with the door open, watching closely, just a minute. When the topping is bubbling and melted, take it out to cool.
- Serve warm, after the topping has set.