Ingredients:2 cups rye flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup milk (non-dairy for vegan)
- Heat the oven to 350ºF and grease a loaf tin. Sift the rye flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into a large mixing blow and make a well in the center.
- Gradually stir the milk into the dry ingredients to give a smooth, thick batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 60-75 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool further. Wrap the cooled loaf in foil to store.
- This loaf tastes better a few days after baking.
- For a ginger version of this loaf, add a little powdered ginger, plus 4-6 tbsp chopped glace, or crystallized or drained preserved stem ginger just before it goes into the loaf tin.
- For a fruity version, stir in 4 tbsp sultanas and 4 tbsp finely chopped dates.
- This is a great loaf for people with wheat allergies and can be made with water in place of milk.
- Serves 10
- Pin It