Sticky Brown Rice (Risotto)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 cup short-grained brown rice
3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups whole wheat panko or dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup olive oil
- To make the risotto, in a 4-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil.
- Saute the onion over medium heat until soft and clear.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Add 2 cups of the stock and the salt, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and begin stirring in more stock as needed to make a soft, sticky risotto. Keep cooking and stirring after each addition until you have a thick texture. Take the pan off the heat, add the Parmesan and tomatoes, and chill.
- To assemble the suppli, form the cold risotto into balls, using 2 tablespoons for each one. Dredge them in the flour then the egg, then the crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan until it shimmers, and fry the suppli until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.
- For a simpler cooking process, it can be made into one large, flat cake, instead of little balls.
- Panko is better but use regular breadcrumbs if you can't find it.
- Makes about 18 suppli, 4 servings
- Nutrition is per Rice Ball
- Pin It