- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×5 inch glass pan.
- Toast almond slices for 10 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet, and finely chop. For almond topping, mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In another bowl, combine oil, pumpkin puree, and ale.
- Quickly combine wet and dry ingredients. Add optional ingredients at this point as well. Stir only until you are not able to see any white flacks from the flour.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. If desired, add almond topping.
- Bake for at least one hour. The loaf should be slightly golden and will spring back when pressed, if fully baked. Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf to see if it comes out clean. The first loaf I made came out a bit doughy, so keep an eye on your bread until you find the right temperature and timing for your oven.
- Allow loaf to cool on a rack before slicing. Store in an airtight container.