Friday, November 11, 2011

Dessert: Longaberger Apple Pie and Pie Crust

I'm downright un-American - I don't like apple pie. I want to like it, but I just do not. However, members of my family like apple pie. So, a few weeks ago, I made my first apple pie. I got it right first try. What did I make? I made a recipe from Longaberger. Full disclosure: I was a Longaberger Consultant for a couple years in 2003-05 or so. This is not a difficult pie to make, even with the crust from scratch. It was baked in a Longaberger Pottery Pie Plate.

 The recipe is given in 2 parts. The pie crust can be used for anything that you need a pie crust for.
Longaberger Pie Crust

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 T. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup lard
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 T. vinegar
1/4 cup water

Directions:


  1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix together egg, vinegar and water, then add to flour mixture. Mix until dough is moist enough to form a ball. 
  2. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll one half into a 12-inch circle. Press dough into pie plate. Crimp to form decorative border, then prick bottom with fork. 
  4. Place in freezer while preparing pie filling. Makes one double crust pie.
Longaberger Apple Pie

Ingredients:

3 cups pared, cored and sliced apples (about 3 apples, really good with granny smiths)
3 T. flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. butter
3 T. milk

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. 
  2. Mix apples, flour, sugar and cinnamon. Stir gently. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Dab with butter and pour milk over filling. 
  3. Roll top crust same as bottom and lift onto filled pie or decorate with woven lattice top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Filling for one pie.
Other Details:
  • Makes 1 pie. 
  • Cut to 6-8 slices. 
  • Nutrition given for 1/6 of pie.
  • Hint: I cut it open warm. All the innards spill out when you do this. Letting it cool to room temperature will allow the insides to stick together better. (I know there are words for that, but they all sound gross when speaking of food.)
  • Pin It
  • Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment