The recipe is given in 2 parts. The pie crust can be used for anything that you need a pie crust for.
Longaberger Pie Crust
Ingredients:2 cups flour
1/2 T. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup lard
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 T. vinegar
1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix together egg, vinegar and water, then add to flour mixture. Mix until dough is moist enough to form a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll one half into a 12-inch circle. Press dough into pie plate. Crimp to form decorative border, then prick bottom with fork.
- Place in freezer while preparing pie filling. Makes one double crust pie.
Longaberger Apple Pie
Ingredients:3 cups pared, cored and sliced apples (about 3 apples, really good with granny smiths)
3 T. flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. butter
3 T. milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix apples, flour, sugar and cinnamon. Stir gently. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Dab with butter and pour milk over filling.
- Roll top crust same as bottom and lift onto filled pie or decorate with woven lattice top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Filling for one pie.
- Makes 1 pie.
- Cut to 6-8 slices.
- Nutrition given for 1/6 of pie.
- Hint: I cut it open warm. All the innards spill out when you do this. Letting it cool to room temperature will allow the insides to stick together better. (I know there are words for that, but they all sound gross when speaking of food.)
- Pin It
- Pin It