1 whole Large Onion
2 cups Buttermilk
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
Black Pepper To Taste
- Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
- Repeat until onions are gone.
- Eat before your family sees them.
- Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.
- Original Recipe
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Serves 2 (Although I'm pretty sure we get 4+ servings out, although it's possible the husband has used 2 onions and I just didn't pay attention.)
- Also, we don't usually measure most of this out. We cut up an onion, and fill with Buttermilk, and dredge in as much of a combination of flour, salt, and pepper as needed and the ratios look good.
- Pin It