2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup - plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil or Earth Balance
3/4 cup soy milk or soy milk creamer, Plain (or almond milk)
1 teaspoon organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil , reserved for brushing biscuits before baking
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sifted flour into the Cuisinart Food Processor fitted with the Knife Blade.
3. Add oil/earth balance and salt and pulse a few times until the flour resembles small pea sized particles... NO NOT OVER MIX!
4. Make the mock buttermilk by adding the vinegar to the milk.
5. Drizzle the "mock buttermilk" through the feed tube and pulse till the mixture starts to form a ball... STOP don't over process. The ingredients should NOT be totally combined.
6. Scoop the dough contents out onto a floured surface, and dust with more flour.
7. Gently gather the dough together and gently press out to a 3/4 inch high circle.
8. With a 2 inch stainless round cutter (or a shaped cookie cutter), cut out as many biscuits as possible.
9. Arrange the cut biscuits on a cookie sheet with space between each one...no edges touching.
10. Brush the tops of all the biscuits with grapeseed oil to ensure browning.
11. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 – 13 minutes or until gently golden brown.
- Makes 10 biscuits (more or less)
- 153 Calories/biscuit, 19 carbs, 7g fat, 3g protein, 1g fiber
- Original Recipe