Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Side dish or Entree: Pumpkin Creme Rotini

This is officially called Pumpkin "Mac 'n Cheese" with Swiss Chard and Pine nuts, except it doesn't use macaroni noodles, nor dairy cheese, and is not particularly pumpkin tasting. But it was really good. Kids both liked it, and I could have eaten much more than I should. I came across this recipe on Vegan Fling. I thought I knew where I originally found it from, but I must be mistaken because I can't trace that same path. Oh, well. I'm glad I found it. I did modify it.



Ingredients:
1 lb penne or spiral pasta
1 Tbsp vegan butter
3/4 C unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/4 tsp garlic powder
6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 C canned pumpkin puree
salt and pepper to taste
3-5 leaves swiss chard, chopped
1/2 C pine nuts
optional: red pepper flakes for some spice




Directions:

  1. Cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
  2. Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk the milk, arrowroot, and garlic powder and then add this into the pan.
  4. Add the nutritional yeast and salt & pepper. Continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened.
  5. Add in the canned pumpkin and whisk until heated.
  6. Toast the pine nuts in the oven for 5-10 minutes at about 250ºF until slightly browned.
  7. Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce, and add in the chopped swiss chard. Stir until combined and let sit for a few minutes to let the chard wilt a little.
  8. Serve topped with the toasted pine nuts.


Other Details:

  • Says feeds 4-6, but I got 8 servings out of it.
  • Original Recipe
  • It's about 320 Calories/serving for 8 servings, with 71 g carbs, 6 g fat, 17 g protein, and 6 g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment