1 cup organic all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cup cold (vegan) margarine (I used nucoa)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
5 tbsp brown sugar
6 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp molasses
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter (or 2 forks) cut the cold margarine into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix the pumpkin, milk & sugar. Add this to the flour bowl and mix to combine. The dough will be fairly. (If it really doesn't come together you can add some water or more milk a teaspoon at a time.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 3 equal balls. Flatten each one into a round disk that's about 6 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut each disk into quarters and place them on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow the scones to cool and then drizzle them with spiced glaze.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle onto the scones either with a spoon, or from a plastic bag with the tip cut off.
- You can thicken the glaze with more powdered sugar, and thin it using more milk. Add very little (1 tsp) at a time and stir thoroughly.
Makes 1 dozen scones.