1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups confectioner's sugar
½ cup shortening
5 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extractfood coloring (optional)
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour and baking soda; mix well.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- To shape, generously flour a surface.
- Take about one fist of dough, roll into a ball, then squash flat onto the surface. Roll out the dough to a thin sheet.
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to make seasonal shapes, or geeky shapes, or just geometrical shapes.
- Bake for 8 - 12 minutes.
- Let cool before frosting. Decorate your cookies to your pleasure.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- In a large bowl, cream together the confectioner's sugar and shortening until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes.
- Color with food coloring if desired.
- Supposedly makes about 3 dozen, but that depends on the shapes you make and their sizes.
- I also use as much of the dough as possible. I take the bits that don't make it into the shapes, and add it to the fresh dough to roll out. This helps stretch the number of cookies you can make.
- In my opinion, sugar cookie making is boring. But add friends and family and it is a joy.