Baked potato soup in the pot.
Baked potato soup in the bowl.
1 ½ lb baking potatoes
¼ lb butter
2 cups yellow onion –diced
1/3 cups flour
5 cups water
¼ cup chicken base
1 cup instant potato flakes
¾ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 can whole kernal corn, drained
salt and white pepper to taste
- Bake baking potatoes. Allow to fully cool. Remove skin & cut potatoes into 1/2” cubes. Set aside. (The baking can be done a day in advance to reduce total cook time on the day.)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions & sauté over low heat for 10 min or until onions are translucent. Don’t allow onions to burn.
- Add flour to onions & butter and cook 4-5 min, stirring well until flour is absorbed.
- In a separate container, combine water, chicken base, potato flakes & seasonings. Stir or whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps. Add slowly to onions mixture, stirring constantly so no lumps form. Increase to medium heat & continue cooking until the soup begins to gently simmer. Add milk & cream, stirring until smooth & lightly thickened. Simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil. Soup should just simmer lightly.
- Add cubed baked potatoes & corn, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat & serve with grated cheddar cheese, sliced scallions, & bacon pieces.