Ingredients:1 ear sweetcorn
1/2 cup plain wheat flour
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika (we choose cayenne pepper)
a large pinch of salt
4 tbsp milk
2 oz cheddar cheese, finely diced
4 tbsp finely sliced spring onions
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley (we used parsley)
2 tsp finely chopped fresh chilli (I didn't have any)
a little olive or vegetable oil for frying
freshly ground pepper
- Using a large kitchen knife, cut the corn kernels from the ears of corn. Scrape the ears with the back of the knife to squeeze out as much of the kernels and 'milk' as possible. Set aside
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cayenne and salt in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. In a small jug, whisk together the egg and milk and pour into the dry ingredients, stirring to make a very thick batter. Mix in the sweetcorn, cheese, spring onions, coriander or pasley, chilli and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a little oil in large, heavy frying pan. Working on two or three fritters at a time, add large spoonfuls of the mixture ot the pan and fry until the top is set and the bottom is golden. Flip over to brown on the other side, then remove from the pan and set aside in a warm place while you cook the remaining mixture. Serve hot, warm or cold.
- Makes 4 - 6
- You can swap the added ingredients to the basic batter by measuring 4 tbsp of whatever chopped ingredients you desire. Suggestions: parsnip, chorizo, ham, red bell pepper, broccoli stems, cooked wild rice.
- The mixture can be cooked into tiny pancakes to serve as canapes with smoked hams and fish, or guacamole and salsa.
- Pin It