6 Tbsp. butter
¾ cup sugar
½ cup milk
14 strawberries, fresh or frozen (defrosted)
Food coloring, optional
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
Hershey’s Kisses, Hugs or strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. You can use a wooden spoon, a potato masher or handheld electric mixer. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and add the milk.
- Rinse the strawberries and cut off the green stem. Mash the berries with a potato masher or puree in a blender. Then stir the berries into the butter and milk mixture. TIP: For muffins with a more pink color, add a few drops of red liquid food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir well. Add the flour mixture to the berry mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until all the white disappears.
- Line the muffin tin with paper liners. Drop the batter from a tablespoon to fill the cups halfway.
- Add a surprise: an unwrapped Kiss, Hug or ½ teaspoon of jam. Then spoon more batter to fill almost to the top.
- Bake until the muffins begin to brown and a toothpick inserted near the center (but not in the Kiss) comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the tin and cool.
- Makes 12 muffins.
- You can make these more Halloween-friendly by using a different berry (perhaps blueberries) and/or using food coloring to your preference.
- Pin It