Ingredients:For the Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs, separated
2 cups sliced banana, berries, or raisins
For the Sauce2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan mix the berries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. The sauce will thicken as it stands.
For the Pancakes:
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Mix the flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk, oil, and egg yolks in a cup.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, using an electric mixer.
- Mix the yolk mixture into the dry ingredients just until moistened, then fold in the whites.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Lightly grease the griddle with spray vegetable oil or butter, and then drop 1/3-cup portions of batter on the griddle, spreading them a bit if thick.
- Drop fruit onto the pancakes, and press it down. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until bubbly, turn, and cook for a couple minutes more.
- Transfer to an oven-safe platter and hold in the oven until all of the pancakes are done. Serve the pancakes topped with the blueberry sauce.