Ingredients:3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
5 tablespoons granulated white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
- Butter and flour a 9-inch-across, 3-inch-deep springform pan. In a large sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter, then sauté the apples over medium-high heat until softened and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Mix 3 tablespoons of the white sugar and the cinnamon in a cup and sprinkle over the apples, then toss and cook until the liquids are thick and bubbly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Dice the remaining 1/2 cup of butter, and let it come to room temperature. In a stand mixer, combine the flour, brown sugar, and salt, and mix. Toss in the diced butter and mix until the butter is broken into small bits. Measure 2/3 cup of the mixture into a small bowl, and stir into that the remaining 2 tablespoons white sugar and pie spice to make the streusel.
- To the mixer, add the baking soda and mix, then add the pumpkin, sour cream, and eggs, beating until smooth. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Distribute the apple sauté over the batter, then sprinkle the streusel topping over that.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a rack.