I got so many likes on Instagram for this photo and a comment about how good it looked. (Okay, over 20 likes and one comment, which is a lot for me.)
First, I need to step up my food photography game for this blog again. Unfortunately, I am taking photos with my cell phone under low light conditions so I can Instagram them. Sometimes the Instagram filters can help make the image look better. This is an unfiltered photo.
Second, I probably should have added the broccoli on top rather than stirring it in.
Finally, this is a Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor meal, adjusted to my taste. For me, it is an entree, and it might be a good lunch. I'm putting it as a side in the food blog because I think for most people, it might serve best as a side.
1¼ cups (10-oz) soy or almond milk
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tbsp miso paste
1½ cups cooked brown rice
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- Whisk milk with nutritional yeast, cornstarch and spices until combined.
- Bring to a near boil then reduce to low.
- Cover and simmer, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in miso until well combined.
- Stir in cooked rice and top with broccoli.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serves 2
- Per serving: 389 calories, 6.4g fat, 66.1g carbs, 12.6g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 22.9g protein
- It is a little bland, as is. I would add additional paprika or a dash of chili powder, or something else to give it a little kick.
- You can add beans ore more broccoli.