Thursday, March 3, 2016

Broccoli Rice & Cheeze


I got so many likes on Instagram for this photo and a comment about how good it looked. (Okay, over 20 likes and one comment, which is a lot for me.) 

First, I need to step up my food photography game for this blog again. Unfortunately, I am taking photos with my cell phone under low light conditions so I can Instagram them. Sometimes the Instagram filters can help make the image look better. This is an unfiltered photo.

Second, I probably should have added the broccoli on top rather than stirring it in. 
Finally, this is a Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor meal, adjusted to my taste. For me, it is an entree, and it might be a good lunch. I'm putting it as a side in the food blog because I think for most people, it might serve best as a side.

Ingredients:
1¼ cups (10-oz) soy or almond milk 
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast 
2 tbsp cornstarch 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp garlic powder 
½ tsp smoked paprika 
¼ tsp turmeric 
2 tbsp miso paste 
1½ cups cooked brown rice 
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed

Directions:

  1. Whisk milk with nutritional yeast, cornstarch and spices until combined. 
  2. Bring to a near boil then reduce to low. 
  3. Cover and simmer, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Whisk in miso until well combined. 
  5. Stir in cooked rice and top with broccoli.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.


Notes:

  • Serves 2
  • Per serving: 389 calories, 6.4g fat, 66.1g carbs, 12.6g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 22.9g protein
  • It is a little bland, as is. I would add additional paprika or a dash of chili powder, or something else to give it a little kick. 
  • You can add beans ore more broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment