If you know me and my family, you might be as surprised as I am for something called "Tomale Pie" to make it onto the Codex. It was one of the meals from the Happy Herbivore Meal Mentor. I changed some of the measurements to be less spicy.
6 tbsp fine cornmeal
1/2 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup corn
1 tbsp diced green chilies
7-oz diced tomatoes
- Make polenta: Bring 3/4-cup water to a boil. Reduce to low. Slowly whisk in cornmeal, stirring to break down clumps. Add more hot water (about 1/4-cup) to thin out. Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375F and set aside a square 8 or 9-inch glass casserole dish.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add spices, stirring to coat well, and cook another minute.
- Add beans, corn, green chilies, and tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook for a minute or so, then transfer to the casserole dish.
- Spread polenta mixture on top and bake 30 minutes, or until polenta is firm.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes while the polenta firms.
- Serves 2.
- Per serving: 387 calories, 3.8g fat, 70.1g carbs, 15.6g fiber, 6.7g sugar, 19.5g protein.
- If you like spice, double the chili powder to 1/2 tsp, and add as much as 2-oz of diced green chilies. You can pour hot sauce on top, too.
- Top with guacamole or sliced olives for more flavor.